I am still learning how to use Social Media to drive more readers through Canadian Personal Finance (and thus hopefully create more income from the site), but I am starting to learn a few things about one of the significant social media engines, Twitter.
Twitter Etiquette (OK just not being a jerk)
The first thing is Twitter rarely creates much of a buzz for my site, so my guess is I am not in any way an expert, but I have learned what does not work (so that is a good start):
- Do not create Twitter Tsunamis where you post 10 things at once on Twitter. Nobody can, or wants to read that much on Twitter, and most of the posts will be ignored. I have created my own rule that anyone whom I follow, if they create a Twitter Tsunami of more than 3 posts, I unfollow them right away. Use Hootsuite, Kloutt, Buffer or something like that to spread the info out.
- If you are retweeting a post, add something to it, unless it is the SEO Secret of Life say what you think of the link or post, or I won’t click anything.
- Directed posts that attempt to get you to click because they put a link to your userid is done by scumbag phishing dirtbags and I will retweet their userid every time calling them a scumbag. Don’t do this, it might make you money, but you are then a scumbag.
- I don’t formally welcome new followers in any way shape or form, that is my preference. Others send a nice welcome message, OK, I guess that is fine, but if you send me a Welcome Message, with a Make a Million Dollars link on it, I will unfollow you right away.
- Don’t just post links, post your ideas, try to start conversations or arguments in Twitter, it’s much more interesting that way. Simply posting links will get you unfollowed eventually, especially if they are links to stuff I don’t care about.
The results of this are that I don’t have that many followers right now, but I am not worried about it either. I will not follow folks, and if I feel like someone is trying to manipulate me into clicking on things, they will be gone.
Are other folks like this? I have no idea, but I can’t think that I am the only person that feels this way.